Thursday, October 22, 2009

looking for something sweet?





















Here's one of my family's favourite desserts:

It came about when i had pears in the fruit bowl that needed using. I have also made it with a banana added, with apples and tinned fruit salad mix - please yourself and your own taste buds

Caramel Self saucing fruit sponge pudding

Combine (the one pot cook in me mixes this straight in the pudding dish), and beat until smooth:
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 2/3 cup Sugar (i use less if my fruit is over ripe)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pinch of ground cloves (a decent one)
  • 1/2 cup milk
Stir in 4 chopped pears (we leave the skin on) - or use tinned fruit - i think that most tree fruit would work.

Place in pudding dish (if you have mixed in a bowl)

Pour over 3/4 cup Brown Sugar (i use a bit less), 1/4 cup Butter, 3/4 cup Boiling Water

Bake uncovered @ 180*C for 40-45 minutes

Serve warm with custard, yoghurt or ice cream - YUM

If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a guess before measure chef - that's how i learnt from my Mother and Grandmother. We had a rule as i was growing up that you need to write down what you put in a dish, just in case it was so yummy that it should be made again! tho seldom followed really as the nicest dinners were the left over use up's ... and it looks like the gift has been passed onto me. Don't get me wrong though as some nights dinner can be less than desirable!

And i love stumbling across new recipes on the blogs I've been visiting lately - dangerous for the waist line though.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool